Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

O, Alcoholic!

O, sweet alcoholic!

There was a lonesome moment where

I could see how much you cared.

Our eyes made records of the past

And all the times it left us there.


O, dear alcoholic!

We’ve made a mess of everything

And the ropes have grown so thin.

I’m falling over the guardrail now,

But you can’t hear above the din.


O, sullen alcoholic!

I’m calling all the forces here

To help me sleep at night!

I held you close and I held you dear;

Could it be I held too tight?


O, moronic alcoholic!

I loved you like I loved myself,

And maybe that’s where I went wrong.

I’d like to put this on a shelf

And write you in a song.


O, paralyzed alcoholic!

I’ve kept a lock upon my heart,

But I tried to share with you.

The way I was now seems so smart,

But of course I still tried something new.


O, damn alcoholic!

I only asked for what you could give;

It really didn’t seem so much.

But you have perfected a way to live

A life devoid of love.


O, my alcoholic!

I woke to find that you were gone

And all you left me was a note.

Each and every trace of you, no more.


It’s hard to see through all this smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment