Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

I Am

I am who I am because
My father almost never cries
But my mother does enough for the both of them.
I am who I am because books were shoved at me from birth
And I fell in love.
I’m a warrior and a princess
And I don’t think that makes me weak.
I can stand up to you
Even if it makes me cruel
Because sometimes you need to
Break all the rules.
I am who I am because my skin loves the sun
And my heart hates it more.
I think I was born with rain boots on.
And even when it’s not raining,
It’s sprinkling anyway, somewhere in the world.
I am the daughter of people who believe
And faith will always be a part
Of my home.
Of my mind.
Of my heart.
I am who I am because
Love is worth risking the world
And nothing is worse than forgetting that.
I am brave and I can stand ready for the hit;
Because
To fall in love is to willingly become an open target.
I am who I am because hiding is a joke
And everyone should know that.
I am who I am because I can always go home
To the hot chocolate and lavender house.
I am who I am because I know what to do
With a broken heart.
In those moments when it seems like too much
I can remember that the world is full of
Lilacs and footprints.
It’s full of raindrops and skyscrapers.
Along with the fears and the wars there are still
Old books for smelling and
Poems to be written.
I am who I am because I know what to do
With a broken heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment