Pages

Friday, January 23, 2015

Saturday Morning Showers

I
Saturday morning showers
Are my favorite.
With not a care in
The world
At only nine years old
I already used
Showers to
Contemplate.

II
Plinking and dropping
All over my
Hair and my
Face and my
Eyes and my
Teeth.
Water, water, everywhere.
I’m much too happy
To ever care
If the hot water runs into my face
Or if the water turns cold
For even one split second.
Because I secretly like
The cool, clear streams for just that one moment
Pouring down and down and down
Enough to make me shiver
But not enough for me
To cry.
But only in a Saturday morning
Shower.

III
I always complain
About showering at night.
Mornings are better.

IV
The air is
Always too cold
After a long
Saturday shower.
There are goosebumps everywhere
When I step out.
I quickly run,
Light-footed
With towels galore
Wrapped tightly so
As not to sneak a peek.
And land myself in a still and shivering pile right on the carpet in the living room in the sunspot of sunlight as it slips through the pulled back curtains and the dingy glass window so that I can warm myself like a cat because even cats need baths every once in a while when they get themselves all slippery and slick with the mud of a brand-new day.

V
I have to move
From my sunspot
So that mama
Can vacuum.
She puts on some old
Synthesized music
And begins to dance,
Swaying her hips back and forth
To the time.
Her hips no longer slim
Like a youth
But widened.
A badge of honor
For birthing four
Screaming and
Laughing
Babies
Into a world
Of Saturday morning showers
And lilac trees
And dead-end streets
With blackberries to pick and
Thorns to scratch.

She always cleans on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment