Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2018

April Books Ranked!


A Court of Mist and Fury
A Court of Wings and Ruin
Heart of Iron
Annihilation
Geekerella
The Heart’s Invisible Furies
Shiver
Wonder Woman: Warbringer
Wires and Nerve
The Lost World
Daughter of the Siren Queen
Fairest
Every Last Lie


My April Read Books Rating! The one at the top is my highest rated, and the one at the bottom is my lowest. My ratings might be a bit surprising, considering I have some serious heart eyes for Wonder Woman, or because I gave the first ACOTAR book such a low rating. So lemme explain these a bit:



First, I’ll start with “Every Last Lie” by Mary Kubica. Although this is by no means a crappy book, I really only read it because I won it and because I had nothing else to read during a hair appointment. That being said, many aspects of it had me on the edge of my seat. However, I’ve read better thrillers and I thought the ending was cliche and kind of tired.





Fairest was not at all what I expected. It wasn’t really a real novel, obviously, so there was less of a narrative arc, and more just backstory. That’s really the reason it can’t be rated higher. I did genuinely enjoy this one. 


DotSQ might be an upset as well--don’t get me wrong. I love Tricia Levenseller. I think
she’s a talented storyteller and a great person who I now consider a friend. However, this book just didn’t stack up when compared with some of the other stuff I read this month. It’s hard to beat high fae sex, okay? This novel, while fun, felt rushed (and I know there was explanation for that, but that’s not an excuse), and seemed a little more forced. This didn't stop me from reading it in practically one sitting though, so it's nothing to scoff at.




The Lost World. Crichton isn’t known for his incredible writing, but I will say, I can’t turn down a good dinosaur thriller. This one had me excited, and I always love the philosophical aspects of his approach to science. But like I said, occasionally the writing isn’t up to snuff for me.





Wires and Nerve is the first graphic novel I’ve ever read, and I thought it was absolutely delightful. I’ll read anything Marissa Meyer does, and I loved revisiting the characters here. However, it wasn’t really anything all that original, but it was really fun.




Wonder Woman: Warbringer. Okay, mixed feelings about this one. I love WW with my pathetic fangirl heart, and Leigh Bardugo is my queen. But, like some of her books, I felt it took me a while to get into this one. Of course, once I got into it, I was hooked on the story. She’s an excellent character writer, but it never detracts from her excellent skill with story.





Shiver. This was a reread for me, which is a rarity. But I needed some Maggie Stiefvater in my life, and I needed it immediately. I do love this book, but I’m aware that it has serious flaws. It’s one of her earlier books, and it has this Twilighty feel to it, but in my opinion the much healthier relationship helps a lot. Plus she writes characters like no one else.




The Heart’s Invisible Furies was a hard one to rate. On the one hand, the first two hundred pages or so, minus the first fifty about Cyril’s mother, were so boring and strange I couldn’t quite get through them. I wanted to gag a little at the mind of a seven year old or fifteen year old on sex. No thanks. I don’t mind when characters have sex. But I don’t want to read pages of descriptions of that being all he thinks of. Nonetheless, the story picked up quite a bit around page 250, and I found myself absolutely enamored with Cyril and his life. I even cried at the end.




Geekerella appeals so hard to the fangirl in me. I could read sweet, adorable geek girl books any day. Ashley Poston’s writing improved in Heart of Iron, but I think it’s easier to forgive a book it’s so-so writing when the writing is still compulsively readable.





Annihilation was a mind-bending sci-fi thriller that took me to a very strange and contemplative place. I love love loved this book, and it kind of blew my mind and stretched my brain. I think fans of Poe and science fiction will love this, so if that’s your thing, read it. If not, the prose style might get tedious. It did a little bit for me.




Heart of Iron. Be still my history nerd heart. Heart of Iron combines Anastasia with space, and it works so well for me. I love the stars and the planets, and I love royal mysteries. Like I said, this is better than Poston’s Geekerella in terms of writing, although it took me about fifty pages to decide I liked this one. Once I got hooked though I was in for the long haul. Can’t wait for the sequel.





ACOWAR. Although this might be other people’s favorite of the books, I think I got a little bit stressed during certain scenes. I don’t enjoy books about war, so that might be why I had a hard time with some of the scenes here. But that was maybe my only complaint, except that I wanted so much more. Also though, that Suriel scene is burned into my brain and heart and I cried like a baby.



ACOMAF takes the cake here, friends. I loved every moment of this epic, epic romance. I expected so much less, honestly. I loved the Feyre Rhys fun, the sex, the love, the romance, the adventure. I love this book not only because it drastically changed my opinion about Sarah J. Maas, but because it felt so real. The slow-bloom of romance is something I die for. I loved meeting the characters, seeing Feyre’s inner strength, and going on this adventure with characters I now love so much.

There you have it, friends. I can’t wait to do this again next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment