Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

Birds

I was only eight
Years old
When I watched the birds fall from the sky.

I still concerned myself with
Dolls & passing notes.
But now I was scared to let
My daddy
Go to work.

No eight year old
Knows what
Patriotism
Means. But we did.

The attack of 1941
Never felt like
Ours.
Neither did the gunshots
That took down leaders.
But this day will always
Feel like
Ours.

I still remember waking up to a TV screen
And a silent house.
To a mother & father
With fear in their eyes
But normalcy in their actions.

Years later I read about
Pink mist
Filling the air
And it didn’t feel
Far removed. I understood
What he was talking about.  
The leaping. I
Remembered.

I still remember being eight years old
And watching

The birds fall from the sky. 


(Link to old blog post about 9/11 here)

No comments:

Post a Comment